Thursday, April 15, 2010

Seeking after the Jewel Part 1

The Promise

As I embarked on my two day journey in solitude and prayer with the Lord I wasn't sure what God had in store for me. And frankly, though many people gave me the encouragement that God would indeed meet me and show me his path, I secretly doubted. But with the mustard seed sized faith that I had I moved forward with hope that God would indeed show up. Beloved, He did.

I began my days of solitude and prayer by spending time at Tyler State Park basking in the glory of God's creation. It was restful and relaxing, but when I tried to dig my heels into prayer I felt like I came up against a wall...something that wouldn't allow me to move into undistracted communion with the Father. I was a bit discouraged and thought, “man what a way to start off my retreat with the Lord. I'm not sensing his nearness!!!” But thank you to all who were praying specifically against distraction because the Lord answered your prayers in great ways later that evening when I arrived at my retreat location. It was as if I was entering Christ's very own rest that is talked about in Hebrews. Indeed, it was truly satisfying...I was answering the call of Christ to come to His waters, to taste and see that He is good...to partake of the richest of fare. I felt a huge burden just slip right off. I was truly in the refuge of the Living God.
    As I settled into the evening with the Lord, the words “perseverance” kept showing up as I kept reading portion after portion of God's word, receiving the this bread of life. He was encouraging me to keep going, to keep pursuing him, his wisdom and understanding. Perseverance must finish its work so that I would be mature and complete not lacking anything. I think that in times like these, when we seek the Lord, not only for an answer, but genuinely seek His heart and mind He requires perseverance, because he doesn't want us to lack anything. As I was praying and reading he lead me to Proverbs 2: 1-6 which says “My son (daughter in my case), if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding...then you will understand what is right and just and fair-every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.”  So, I my prayer became, “LORD you promised that if I seek wisdom as I would treasure that it would enter my heart and be pleasant to my soul. You promised. For your name's sake I am holding you to your promise. Fulfill it in me.”
    The next morning I awoke to the sun beaming through the cracks of the window blinds. I awoke with expectation in my  heart. I looked up to the ceiling and what I saw made my heart stir and my jaw drop...I whispered “no way.” There before me were mute colors that spilled across the white surface...there before me was a rainbow. I couldn't help but be in awe that God would give me this...that at this moment this image was only for me in response to my prayers before the Lord. I got out of bed and realized that not only was the rainbow on the ceiling right above me but it was also spilling across the wall as well. The rainbow was all around me. God sets the rainbow as the sign for His covenants, the sign of His promise. I heard a whisper in my spirit “I remember my promise.”
    “And God said, 'I now establish my covenant with you...this is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds I will remember my covenant...”

No comments: