Friday, July 3, 2015

So...how are you adjusting?

How is life in Germany different than life in America? Are you adjusting ok? Do things feel normal?

I am so thankful that people are asking these questions-but often I find myself at a loss for words...life is different coming back to the USA after fours away with no return in between, but can I really put it into words how it's different? I am adjusting, and I think I'm doing an okay job, but things definitely don't feel normal-although each day does get a little bit better.

I was reading one of my favorite blogs, "a life overseas" and they had this list of "you know you are going through home culture readjustment issues when" and the list ensues...I laughed out right as I read through the list because I kept saying "Yes! Yes, that's me! Oh my goodness, yes!" Finally I had words to put to these questions people where asking...so I decided to cut and paste some of the list and then add my own "Germany specific" ones (which are bold typed). For all of you who have asked and I've given you a blank stare or a "ummm...I don't know" answer, here is your satisfaction:

  1. Your passport is your preferred form of ID.
  2. You comment on how cheap gas is in the US.
  3. You gasp in shock when your at the supermarket and see how much the cheese costs.
  4. You walk in to the chocolate section of Aldi (a German supermarket) expecting to find Rittersport and Milka chocolate only to have your heart sink when they are no where to be seen. 
  5. Your CNN web page is set on “International.”
  6. You find out that living overseas is not the top qualification employers are looking for.
  7. You think Americans are loud.
  8. You find out people still use checks to pay bills...and then:
  9. You have to ask how to write a check.
  10. People say, “football,” and you ask, “Which kind?”
  11. You don’t know how to respond when people say, “I bet you’re glad to be back home.
  12. You prefer to hear news reports from someone with a British accent. (this one is really true!!!)
  13. You stand in awe that there is a “public water fountain” offering water for free. 
  14. You turn on the subtitles on an English movie because you don’t want to miss anything.
  15. You wonder if “organization” should be spelled with an s.
  16. You just realize that the reason why everyone is looking at you with a blank stare is that you unknowingly had switched to conversing in your second language.
  17. You stop bringing your bi-lingual Bible to church.
  18. You just smile at people who say, “So I guess you’re all settled in now.”
  19. You think the public schools are great because the teachers are all proficient in English.
  20. You hand the cashier at Wal-Mart your credit card instead of swiping it yourself.
  21. You have to ask if you should bring a gift with you when invited over for dinner.
  22. You aren't sure if you should shake hands, hug or kiss the person you are meeting on the cheek. 
  23. You’re a bit startled when the cashier packs your groceries for you, or when there is a “bagger” who then bags your groceries and THEN pushes your cart out to your car, and loads it into your trunk for you.
  24. You ask your friends to take off their shoes when they enter your home.
  25. People ask where you’re from and your not sure how to answer.
  26. You realize that Taco Bell isn’t quite as good as you remembered it.
  27. You look forward to mowing the lawn, because you have a lawn.
  28. You say “here” and you mean the US, not the town you’re in.
  29. You realize that the fashionable “genie pants” that are all the rave in your host culture are in fact NOT fashionable here. 
  30. You set all your digital clocks to military time.
  31. When talking about distances you use the metric system.
  32. Airports feel like home.
  33. You tell your waiter, “I’d like my water/soda without ice please.
  34. You get nervous going to the doctor, paying the bill at the restaurant or buying tickets at the movie theater, because you forgot what the “rules” are.

List taken from "You Remember You're a Repat When..." by Craig Thompson
(http://www.alifeoverseas.com/you-remember-youre-a-repat-when/)

Bold and italicized added by Summer Hartzler

No comments: